The Student News Site of Sacramento City College

The Express

The Express

The Express

City College’s take on the November 8th election

Graphic made on Canva by: Neezy Jeffery / [email protected]

Although the midterm elections on Nov. 8 could change political power at a national level, many City College students were still not motivated to vote in this election. For others, however, a few key issues compelled them to cast a ballot.

Californians for this election are casting their vote on, among other categories, governor, attorney general, insurance regulator, openings for the U.S. Senate and even the House of Representatives. A number of propositions are on the ballot as well, including Proposition 1, which would guarantee abortion rights in the state constitution and Propsition 29, which would impose new rules on dialysis clinics.

Bailey (first name only), a cosmetology and arts major at City College, said she believes that people of all backgrounds, ethnicities and genders should be represented in public office. “If there’s certain things that you want to see happen in your community, voting is where it starts,” said Bailey.

On the other hand, Trevis (first name only), a photography major, thinks this election is important for the country, but not the state itself. “I don’t think California’s votes are going to shift where the importance lies in other states,” Trevis said.

He is most concerned about the two gambling propositions on the ballot. He thinks there are already enough places for gambling. “Even if they’re giving money to the homeless, the casinos will take over the economy,” said Trevis. 

According to CalMatters, “Proposition 26 would allow tribal casinos and state’s four horse race tracks to offer in-person sports betting.” The news outlet states that “Proposition 27 would allow licensed tribes and gaming companies mobile and online sports betting for adults 21 and older outside of Native American tribal lands.”

City College student Elijah Blair shared the same concerns as Trevis. “Feels like the gambling law should be regulated if it is passed, because it could get out of hand,” he said.

While those two are in agreement, other students have different thoughts. David Abularach, a first-year journalism major, sees Proposition 27 in a more positive light. He already participates in online betting in another state and “would want the freedom to do it in our state instead of through another state.”

Proposition 28, which would guarantee music funding for arts and education, is important to kinesiology student Malik Johnson. “I say every election is important because every time you vote, it changes the economy, it changes everything,” Johnson said.

Another critical issue to students on this election’s ballot is homelessness. Russell Xiong, a first-year business major said he is very concerned with the growing homelessness situation in California. Xiong said, “We need to help them out; get them off the streets,”.

Abortion rights, especially given the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision earlier in the year to overturn Roe v. Wade, is also a hot topic for students.

Eleanor Hopper, a first-year biology major, is not planning to vote in this election because she is not sure she will have the time to fully grasp the issues and politicians that will be voted on. Despite that, she sees abortion rights as an important issue.

“There has been a regression in abortion rights and I want to fix that and get them back into being the legal standard for everyone, everywhere. Because of that happening, there is a fear of gay marriage and trans rights being revoked as well,” Hopper said, adding, “Everyone is entitled to do what they want with their bodies, and there should be no outside influences telling them they cannot do something that is a part of their autonomy.”

Some students see voting as important, but still do not plan to vote in the midterm. Instead, they plan to vote in the next presidential election.

“I want someone that will fulfill their promises,” Hopper said. “I have heard a lot of stuff that presidents have spewed in the past that have never happened, because they don’t hold sway over [Congress] . … They couldn’t get bills passed, they just said it to get votes and their party disagreed with them. … I want someone that what they are saying is going to happen will happen, whether they have the support of their party … or will keep trying to push it through,” 

Sophia Dunn, a second-year kinesiology major, adds that “the president has more power as the face of our country and it is more important for us to choose that, because that is how we are viewed by other countries, as how we choose to lead us.”

While the participation in this November election might be low among a segment of City College students, some believe that does not change the importance of voting.

“Every election is important because we are choosing the people who we want to represent us. 

Everyone needs to have a voice and if the only way we can get a voice with our laws is by electing people, then we need to make sure we elect the right people,” Hopper said.