The Student News Site of Sacramento City College

The Express

The Student News Site of Sacramento City College

The Express

The Student News Site of Sacramento City College

The Express

City College Transfer Center helps students make the jump to four-year colleges

by Jocelynn Rubio | Staff Writer | [email protected]

Transcripts, acceptance letters—now what? Maristella Bacod, Transfer Center coordinator and counselor and the City College Transfer Center staff dedicate their time to help students through the transferring process into four-year universities.

Bacod said that the center offers transfer workshops to students every semester. “This semester I decided to look toward the science and engineering majors, and so I invited engineering and computer science, biology and chemistry,” Bacod said. “I’d like to invite social work, sociology, political science and history.”

According to Bacod, in March City College welcomed representatives from UC Berkeley, UC Santa Cruz, UC Irvine, UC Davis, University of the Pacific and Sacramento State to discuss transferring requirements for different majors.

“It’s nice to get information from individuals who work in that program at the university. With every workshop that we do, I always hold it on Thursdays,” said Bacod. “I do that strategically because that’s when the Sac State rep comes.”

Sac State admissions and outreach counselor Carlos Rubio talks to students preparing for transfer about meeting admissions requirements to be accepted into the university, as well as  meeting requirements to get into their majors.

Bacod said that students planning to transfer to a UC can set up an account on the Transfer Admission Planner (TAP), an online resource for students considering UCs to help students track their progress.

“Ideally students should have a TAP account their first semester, because what they’ll do, every semester, they will type in all the courses they’re taking,” Bacod said. “It doesn’t matter what course it is, whether it’s transferrable or not. Students will list everything down and at the end of the semester when grades are posted.”

Students can sign into their TAP accounts, put in their grades and their courses for the next semester, Bacod said, and TAP will calculate the students’ UC transferable GPAs and their UC transferable units. With TAP accounts, students can see the progress they’re making.

“[Your] TAP account also becomes your TAG, which is your Transfer Admission Guarantee,” said Bacod. “Students can TAG one UC campus, with the exception of San Diego, Los Angeles and Berkeley—they don’t take TAG. But the TAG becomes uploaded to [students’] UC application[s]. When it’s time to apply, they don’t have to type everything all over again.”

The requirements are different for students applying to a CSU.According to Rubio, students need to complete 60 transferable units, including the “golden four”—a speech class, a freshman English composition class, a critical thinking class and a math class higher than intermediate algebra. Students must also have a GPA “well above a 2.0,” Rubio said.

Bacod said many of the popular majors that students select are also impacted majors. At the university level—particularly at CSUs—if a major is impacted, that means more students want to pursue that major than the university can accommodate.

Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is a common male sexual issue characterized by the inability to get and maintain a rigid viagra prices erection even after being sexually stimulated. All you need to do is chew and swallow the pill 30 minutes before planning sexual activity. purchase viagra online Some research suggests that genetic predisposition also plays a significant role in preventing this health disorder. price sildenafil The STOP error screen struck the OS/2 when developers were porting other tools generic no prescription viagra from Lattice, Inc. via internet. Business administration, psychology, criminal justice and nursing are some of the impacted majors. According to Rubio, Sac State prioritizes local area students in the Los Rios Community College District for admission into impacted majors.

Bacod said students transfer to many universities, but the most common place City College students transfer is to Sac State.

“Because they’re local, and many of our students, have families, they have jobs, this is where their home is,” she said.” And so we have many students who stay home and go to school at Sac State.”

To help give students more information about transferring to Sac State, Rubio is on campus every Thursday this semester from 9 a.m.– 4 p.m. He is available to speak with students about their CSU GE requirements what they need to do to be transfer ready, and refer them to departments in their majors.

Students are welcome to schedule an appointment by calling their community college’s Transfer Center or they can always pay us a visit on campus,” said Rubio about Sac State. “We are open Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and we offer walk-ins for the same day, which is never a long wait.”

Rubio noted that application filing periods for all CSUs are done almost a year in advance. “October and November for the following fall and August 1-31 for the following spring,” he said.

Bacod said students are always welcome to come to the City College Transfer Center but that . students tend to visit in September, when the center is packed with students researching  transfer institutions. Appointments to see university representatives can be made at the Transfer Center.

The Transfer Center also offers application workshops from August through November to help students through the application process for UCs and CSUs, Bacod said.

“It is important to start the process early, even if it is your first semester,” said Bacod. “Even if you’re going to be here for two years, the transfer process really starts as soon as you get to Sac City.”

Chemistry majors at City College who are looking for more information can hear major advisers from Sacramento State for Chemistry in TECH 105 March 28 from 3-4 p.m.

City College students interested in transferring to University of Nevada Reno can visit the Transfer Center in RN 147 to sign up for the campus tour and complete the travel forms.

For more information, visit or call (916) 558-2181.

Leave a Comment
Donate to The Express

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sacramento City College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

More to Discover
Donate to The Express

Comments (0)

All The Express Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *