Finding the art in ink

A wall of framed ink style art.
Black and white lithograph by student artist Roy de Forest is displayed in the Kondos Art Gallery. Tony Wallin | [email protected]

Spectacular. Delicate. Angry. Playful. Dark.

Those are some of the words overheard during the opening reception of Kondos Gallery’s most recent art exhibition, “Ink.”

The “Ink” reception, which took place Sept. 13 in conjunction with the opening of the Printmaking Lab in the Performing Arts Center, brought artists and art admirers together at the Kondos Gallery.

The event, which was well-attended, was a success for “Ink” curator Emily Wilson, as two attendees quickly became a group of three. The group of three soon became a group of four. Indeed, as the night progressed, the crowd grew in size, with guests intently studying lithographs, etching, woodcuts, serigraphs and other ink techniques.

For instance, “Wrapin Wrapout,” a double-sided print by American environmental artist Christo, captured the attention of local Sacramento artist, Ronald Peetz.

“That’s my favorite one,” Peetz said of the piece. “It’s kind of haunting.”

Peetz says he’s been a fan of Christo for quite a while now and shared some of his knowledge about the artist’s work.

“The live art is pretty amazing,” he said.

Peetz then spoke about a man who once commissioned Christo. When the Christo piece arrived, the man quickly tore the package open, eager to see Christo’s work. To the man’s surprise, the paper wrapping tied with string gave way to canvas that was blank. Peetz chuckled as he explained, “The packaging was the art.”

As the evening progressed, the crowd swapped stories and as the stories changed, the energy in the gallery did as well.
This medicine is not indicated in certain cases – such as men taking nitrates or alpha-blockers and men with severe medical issues related to the microvasculature. tadalafil generic online Once the body is stimulated properly, it sale viagra becomes easier for one to make the decision of taking the kamagra Oral Jelly Interaction With Other Kinds Of forms. If it is, remove all connections and tadalafil 20mg for sale allow the components to adequately cool down for a minimum of one hour. levitra sales uk Erectile dysfunction makes a man quite depressed and sad about the fact that he fails to satisfy his partner.
For example, an etching created with plates and tones of brown, “Oh! My Goodness (NO, NO)” by James Nutt is of a light-hearted nature – an amusing piece of many tiny drawings of people reacting to things that have gone wrong. Reactions to the etching were likewise light-hearted.

On the other hand, the discussions regarding “Eerie Grotto? Okini” by contemporary American artist William T. Wiley leaned more toward Wiley’s mystic and curiosity about the artist’s psyche.

Wilson talked about her admiration for Wiley’s work and her curiosity about Wiley’s artistic expressions.

“[He’s] one person I would love to get my hands on and pick his brain,” she said.

“Ink” evoked emotions with beautiful pieces like “Two Red Girls From Mali,” a lino cut by art professor Anne Gregory who has taught at City College for 22 years. Although Gregory has two pieces on in the exhibit she says, print work is not her focus.

“I only do two a year – one for Christmas and one for Valentines Day,” she said.

Gregory says she feels that diversifying her talents allows her to create art according to how she feel at the time, and she does so phenomenally, as proven by her pieces currently hanging in the gallery.

Gregory described plate printing and the beauty of the eternalness of the art created by the process saying, “[Plate prints] cannot ever be different than what they are – they cannot be changed or improved.”

“Ink” is on display at the Kondos Gallery through Sept. 28, 2102.

For more on Kondos Gallery, go to http://www.kondosgallery.org