City College holds working forum over racial graffiti; discussions focused on student opinions, security

President Michael Gutierrez holds up an emergency procedures manual during a working forum held in the South Gym. Ryan Middleton | Staff Photographer | [email protected]

A crowd of over 150 students, staff and faculty gathered Thursday in the South Gym to participate in a working forum hosted by City College President Michael Gutierrez.

“Let’s work together to define how we eradicate racism at our college,” Gutierrez said Tuesday in an email inviting students, staff and faculty to discuss issues of safety and communication raised after three incidents of hate graffiti were found on campus this month.

“It is another opportunity for our college to listen to our students,” Gutierrez said.

After a brief introduction, Gutierrez discussed policy reform to better ensure students’ (especially Black students) safety and success at City College.

“After three weeks of what we’ve had to endure, we’ve made some quick changes and we’re making some long term changes,” Gutierrez said. “We’ve streamlined communication when we’re dealing with threats, particularly of hate crime. And those changes are working, because we are continually being tested. Right?”

According to Gutierrez, the new reform will require Los Rios police to treat all incidents of graffiti as a hate crime, until it can be determined as such by an assessment center. The campus will also be audited for “Emergency Procedures Manuals” required to be posted in all classrooms but may have been missing or taken down.

Gutierrez said City College will launch a task force intended to support all students, particularly Black students, in feeling welcome and successful on campus–beginning with the re-opening of the men’s first-floor restroom in Rodda Hall North where the first graffiti was discovered.

Produced and dispatched by Ajanta Pharma it is a version of the original canada tadalafil 10mg that many men cannot afford to achieve and maintain hard erection desired by the most women in bed. Preventing impotence condition Depending on what the cause of this condition tadalafil pills is, it can be treated with appropriate treatment prescribed by a doctor. This on line levitra is made of Sildenafil citrate. These so-called “pink viagra from uk” products purportedly promote an increase of the blood flow to the female genitalia. “We want to make sure that when we open it, we can do it together,” Gutierrez said. “It was the Black Student Union that closed down the bathroom–for a good cause. So when it is time to reopen, we are unified. We are one.”

After addressing the crowd, Gutierrez prompted to break into discussion groups. In three 20-minute sessions, the groups discussed their thoughts and opinions regarding an online communication form, opportunities for student success, personal experiences in City College classrooms and how improvements can be made to current policy.

“I have asked our faculty to participate, but to listen,” Gutierrez said.

Gutierrez showed his gratitude for the solidarity and strength displayed on campus following the recent hate-crime graffiti incidents.

“What you see today is not what they want. They don’t want unity, they want chaos. And what they’re trying to do is create fear by writing the stuff that they do on the walls. But you’re here, and I’m still here,” said Gutierrez.

Additional reporting by Ryan Middleton

[simple-author-box]