How to survive a campus shooting

Photo by || valenzam@imail.losrios.edu ||
Sergeant Brian Washington of the LCCPD. Photo by || Allison Vallenzuela || [email protected] ||

The Staff Resource Center along with the Los Rios Police Department’s Communications Center held a seminar Nov. 10, titled Shots Fired: Surviving a Campus Shooting.

The event featured a video presented by Captain Valerie Cox, and Sergeant Brian Washington, of the City College police department, that included security tape footage from the 1999 shootings at Columbine High School in Colorado. Many faculty left after the footage was shown.

“[This event] really wasn’t driven by the CSUS events. It was started last fall. Generally why were doing this as law enforcement, is because we think it’s important as well to [make students and faculty aware of how to handle an active shooter on campus.] This community training video is an excellent, well thought out video,” said Valerie Cox, Captain of the Los Rios Police Department, mentioning the beating death of a student at the Sacramento State dorm rooms in October.

The Shots Fired video also instructed students to be aware of their surroundings at all times and always seek out exits wherever they may be on campus.

“From all the students on campus, I am sure there will be students here who would take the opportunity to fight off the gunman to either be the hero or just because they might see their own life is worth less than the life if others who are in danger,” said City College student Alex Nedoruban.

Vitamins sildenafil generic A, B, C, B-6 etc are also responsible. It is a fact that as the sildenafil 50mg number of genuine e-mails I received increased so did the muscle strength. As we speak now, this product is enjoying the title “king of cheap viagra canada” in the market place. These capsules help men to get enhanced generic sale viagra mood and desire for lovemaking, harder and stronger erections. Cox discussed why the event is important in the wake of the recent violence at Fort Hood and Sacramento State explaining to faculty and staff that this video is used to make people aware of their surrounding and aware of what measures to take if an active shooter were to come on campus.

“I think it’s good to be in the know. I’m glad that they offer this,” said Brenda Jackson, nursing instructor at City College.

The video showed a simulation event where an active shooter comes onto an Illinois University campus and describes the techniques that faculty and students should use to improve their chances of survival.

Such techniques included running away from the gun fire, using numbers in people to force the gunman out, throwing things at the gunman as well as barricading the room students and faculty are in and turning the lights off.

After the video was shown, faculty and staff were shown various types of rifles as well and instructed to throw tennis balls at a police officer posing as an attacker as a way to explain to people that everything you have in your classroom can be used as a weapon.

“We want you to be aware. [We want] to eliminate the threat ASAP. The sooner we end it, the better,” said Alex Conroy, a Los Rios Police Officer, regarding what Los Rios Police would do in the unfortunate event should an active shooter comes on campus.