Seeing Double

City College football and track and field athletes Daniel and David Mewborn.

Rosaura de la Cruz | Staff Writer | [email protected]

Mewborn twins take over City College athletics as two-sport competitors

Before taking the field for practice, City College’s track and field team circles around head coach Rob Dewar for advice and guidance. One thing Dewar stresses is the ideal of teamwork in an individualized sport.

“This is your team right here,” says Dewar. “Lean on each other, and trust each other because this is it.”

For two freshman athletes, being a team has never been a problem, because 19-year-old twins Daniel and David Mewborn have been motivating each other since birth.

“It’s a lot easier with my brother on the team because he motivates me every day to keep working and to not give up,” says Daniel.

As two-sport athletes in high school, the brothers saw relative success both on the track and on the football field. In football, Daniel amassed 92 total tackles playing defensive back in three seasons at the varsity level. In his senior season (2013-2014), David led Vacaville High School in rushing with 1,113 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns.

On the track, both of the brothers qualified for the CIF State Championship in the 4X400 meter relay, but finished ninth out of 10 qualified teams.

With success in both sports at the high school level, the brothers decided to join City College’s football and track and field teams after graduating from Vacaville High School in 2014. The brothers looked to these programs to better prepare for their future and to gain a sense of college life.

“We do both sports because track really compliments football and helps us stay in shape and keep our speed up,” says Daniel. “When we transfer to a four-year, we hope to play football preferably, but we both don’t mind just running track.”
It improves endurance, energy and offers effective cure for erectile dysfunction. viagra sample india Women are given synthetic http://www.learningworksca.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Fullpaper-Building-Pathways-final-2-1-12b.pdf buy sildenafil no prescription T to increase the level of desire after taking it. Know How cialis generic australia to Use the Medication Correctly Kamagra jelly is not an aphrodisiac. A drink which contains lycopene offers good view that tadalafil 20mg cipla prostate health.
Both Daniel and David are training intensively this season and say they have made a lot of progress. They run various track events for the team, including the 200-meter, 400-meter and the 4X400 meter relay, but their focus on improvement remains constant.

“This year my main [focus] is power, form and technique, which I’ve definitely seen good results in,” says David. David also explains that the hard work is nothing without self-motivation and confidence, adding, “You get out what you put in to really get good results.”

While both David and Daniel plan to transfer to four-year universities, they say they are happy to be under Dewar’s coaching wing. The brothers feel that they have a strong team to compete and practice with, which helps the brothers physically and mentally.

“It’s changed me in a lot of different ways,” says David. “I came here, I met a lot of people, and the coaches really want to see you succeed.”

“I get along with all my teammates, which is the easiest,” says Daniel. “I love to compete and train in practice, which makes practice fun and competitive every day, which in return [helps] my teammates and I get faster.”

Like the rest of the team, both brothers have qualified for the Big 8 Conference trials on April 18. However, according to Dewar, to advance and qualify for the April 21 Big 8 Conference Championships, team members need to practice and motivate each other now more than ever.

“When you’re a kid, you see and hear college athletes on TV and on the radio making it big, and now you’re here,” says David. “You have to put in everything you’ve got and focus on what [you] have to do.”

That’s what both brothers plan to do — focus and work hard — which pleases their track coach. “They’re the light,” says Dewar. “They’re easy to coach and always have a smile on their face.”

View Comments (1)