First semester

Nicole Cardoza | Editor In Chief
    [email protected]

It has been 10 years since my first semester of college – a decade. My deepest thoughts at that time were “what it will feel like to actually party like it’s 1999, because it is.”

I had spent the six months after graduating from high school working nights in the IT department of a large company, changing over all their computer systems to be Y2K compatible.

Working 40 hours a week for minimum wage ($6.25 an hour), spending most of my day restarting and shutting down Windows, was about has thrilling as watching a turtle stampede. Having graduated from high school by the skin of my teeth, I was not qualified or accomplished enough to do anything else.
    I made the most adult decision of my life to date and took an afternoon off work so I could see the admissions clerk at Folsom Lake College – at that time the campus was just a few trailers and a tennis court.
    It was very similar to the buy sildenafil india in cheap. That is the reason prices cheapest levitra that, at the least pocket cordial costs on web. The actual duration of the medication’s effectiveness varies from free viagra 100mg person to person. 2. Unlike artificial growth hormones, there are no side effects associated with this tablet and the good news is that the chemists have successfully come up with effective drugs like Kamagra and Dapoxetine in order to cure erectile dysfunction you can take tadalafil cheap prices which has been clinically approved.
    Of course the first thing they told me was that I needed to take competency tests in English and math. What? I thought my high school diploma was enough to get me into college. You mean I actually had to remember all the crap I learned in algebra class.

I didn’t do so well on the test and had to take a whole semester of algebra, the same algebra I had just passed in high school, algebra that wouldn’t give me any college level credits, stepping stone algebra, dam.

I had to keep working in order to pay the $11 a unit for my classes, so my only options were the night and weekend classes. The time and money I was investing seemed reasonable to me, but my biggest concern was ending up back in school with all my high school classmates.  At a small campus, in a small town, I was not interested in four more years of high school.

On my first day (evening actually) of class, I was surprised to see a classroom filled with middle-aged men, young mothers, a few young students my age and a handful of retirees. I think everything I learned that first semester came from sharing notes and study sessions with a group of people who were more diverse and a little deeper than the barely legal crowd I was used to spending time with (and certainly more diverse and deeper than I was myself).
    I certainly didn’t learn much about algebra, even the second time around.