The Student News Site of Sacramento City College

The Express

The Student News Site of Sacramento City College

The Express

The Student News Site of Sacramento City College

The Express

Sacramento’s haunted locales

City Theatres production of The Uninvited centers around a house with a ghostly presence. Sacramentos haunted locations range from the Sacramento Theatre Company to the Delta King paddle wheeler. Emily Foley // Photo Editor //
City Theatre’s production of “The Uninvited” centers around a house with a ghostly presence. Sacramento’s haunted locations range from the Sacramento Theatre Company to the Delta King paddle wheeler. Emily Foley // Photo Editor // [email protected]

Halloween is the time to celebrate the things that, for lack of a better phrase, go bump in the night.

Homes will soon be dressed with plastic skeletons, rubber bats and other spooky decorations in pretense that they are haunted by specters from beyond the grave.

However, some places in Sacramento are thought to be haunted by supernatural or ghostly presences. With Halloween on the horizon, now might be a good time to hunt for ghosts at some of these rumored haunted places.

Sacramento Theatre Company

Located at 1419 H St., the theater was originally formed in 1942 as the Sacramento Civic Repertory Theatre. It is believed to be one of the most haunted places in Sacramento with, supposedly, at least five different entities traveling through the halls.

According to costume shop manager Jessica Minnihan, the most famous ghost who haunts the theater manifests a pink orb nicknamed Pinky. Paranormal investigators have speculated Pinky to be the ghost of a former theater manager.

The other theater ghosts reported include a stagehand, two Hungarian lovers and an opera singer.

Underground Tunnels

Old Sacramento’s underground tunnels have hour-long guided walking tours that begin at the Sacramento History Museum at 101 I St. before descending below the historic buildings.

According to the Historic Old Sacramento Foundation, the tunnels are at the original elevation of Old Sacramento. The rising tides of the Sacramento River forced the townspeople rebuild on top of the original town.

These tunnels have been used as opium dens, brothels and passages used for smuggling merchandise and Chinese slaves. There have also been stories from business owners with access to the tunnels of a strange menacing energy and strange noises.

Old City Cemetery

The oldest existing cemetery in Sacramento, established in 1849, is located at 1000 Broadway. According to its website, the cemetery offers guided evening lantern tours Oct. 24 and 25 for visitors to learn more about the various spirits haunting the grounds.

There have been reports of several ghosts on the grounds, according to website These spirits include a little girl playing near the headstone of a deceased child and a pit bull who follows visitors around the cemetery, then disappears. There are no live animals.

Delta King

The Delta King is a riverboat that used to commute between Sacramento and San Francisco from 1927 to 1940. It was restored in 1984 and converted into a hotel, restaurant and theater located in Old Sacramento, 1000 Front St.

The patients, suffering from this chronic condition, witness muscle pain and tenderness in sildenafil tablet viagra a widespread area. The untimely knowledge was due to the fact that it grows buy uk viagra in one of the purest regions of the world. On the whole prescription order viagra without is more popular in the south than the north. Thus; with cheap no prescription cialis the exception of possessing paid salaries, many resemble their paid counterparts in terms of: hours worked, professional duties performed, and disciplinary consequences. Sightings have been reported of a giggling young girl on the deck bouncing a ball, according to ghost hunter Paul Dale Roberts. The ghost of the original captain has been rumored to sit in the theater balcony during performances.

The Central Library

The Sacramento Room of the Central Library located on 828 I St. includes city and county histories and yearbooks. It recently hosted its fifth-annual “Haunted Stacks!” event where they screened the film “Young Frankenstein” and held an after-hours tour.

According to writer Karen Boruff, there have been multiple accounts from library staff who have seen an apparition that resembled a lady in red. There have also been instances of strange, unexplained noises, doors closing and books that vanish or are misplaced, then suddenly reappear after a few glances, according to Boruff.

The Vineyard House

Located in the Gold Rush town of Coloma, the Vineyard House was built sometime in the late 1800s. It was used over the years as a jail, an inn, a restaurant and a winery.

According to the town records, one of the original owners, Robert Chalmers, went insane shortly after deaths of several of his children and the closing of his winery. He was chained up by his wife in the cellar and died there from starvation.

According to, there are stories of later residents being driven from the house by glowing apparitions and the sounds of rattling chains.

Woodland Opera House

Located at 340 2nd St. in Woodland, Calif., the original Woodland Opera House was built in 1885. It was destroyed in an 1892 fire that devastated downtown Woodland. A new opera house was built on the original site and used the foundations and bricks that survived the fire, according to their website.

It was reopened 1896 and hosted various performances, including one by John Philip Sousa and his band. Local legends say the ghost of a firefighter named William W. Porter haunts the north balcony. Porter died in the 1892 fire that claimed the original opera house.

According to the opera house Manager Cathy Oliver, though smoking is prohibited, audience members have complained of smelling cigars or some kind of burn-

Cary House Hotel

Advertised as the “Jewel of Placerville,” the Historic Cary House Hotel is located at 300 Main St. in Placerville. It was built in 1847 by William Cary during the height of the California Gold Rush when the settlement was called Hangtown.

According to Placerville psychic Nancy Bradley, a horse and wagon operator named Arnold Wiedman lived in hotel Room 212 during the late 1800s, accompanied by his wife and baby.

Bradley said that Wiedman died in the room from influenza, and his wife and baby were forced to live there until her parents sent her money to travel home. Bradley also mentioned various unexplained cold spots in the room.

Donate to The Express

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sacramento City College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

More to Discover
Donate to The Express