Confessions of a Shopaholic

Ryan Kleine | Staff Writer
    [email protected]

Remember that episode of Sex and the City when Carrie found out that her excessive spending on designer shoes and clothing was pushing her into debt? Confessions of a Shopaholic is like that episode on crack.

The movie is based on Sophie Kinsella’s novel of the same title about a shopahoilic whose spending has caught up with her.

Isla Fisher plays the lead hilariously as Rebecca Bloomwood, the shopaholic who loses her job as she finds out she’s in over $16,000 worth of debt. She finds a job at a magazine advising people on financial difficulty (talk about irony) after being hired by a boss that only a woman’s fantasy could have created (Hugh Dancy, The Jane Austen Book Club). The love interest is there, but more importantly, the comedy is there.

This movie has a wonderful supporting cast, including John Lithgow, Joan Cusack, John Goodman, Krysten Ritter, Wendie Malick, Julie Hagerty and SNL’s Fred Armisen. With the exception of the annoying best friend Suze (Ritter), these supporting cast members steal each scene they’re in. It’s great to see Goodman in a genuinely funny role again. Hagerty and Armisen were perfect in their roles of the clueless secretary and clueless boss respectively.

The benefit of taking the generic anti-impotence medication is that it cannot be taken by people with severe heart or liver issues A later stroke or heart ambush Low pulse Certain uncommon inherited eye maladies visit for info commander levitra is a protected and adequate drug, it is not suitable for everyone.Patients under treatment for the following conditions; or any ongoing managed condition, should consult their medical. Male impotence is a tadalafil buy man problem. An important solution for sildenafil super ED is Caverta 100 mg tablets. india cialis online They can be either mellow or extraordinary. Fisher completely threw herself into this character. She wasn’t afraid to make herself look stupid, vulnerable or completely ridiculous. She’s entertaining to watch and never misses a good comedic beat.

This film had the rare blend of sharp writing, great on-screen chemistry and physical comedy that wasn’t overdone. It had me laughing out loud multiple times.

When I went to watch it, I honestly wasn’t expecting much. In the middle of the hilarity, though, I was just praying that it would stay this good and funny for the rest of the film. Did it? Of course not. It’s a romantic comedy. This genre can never seems to have a creative ending. This movie did not break the mold, and you will have to suffer through the bland, formulaic last third.

People don’t seem to take these unoriginal endings as seriously as I do, because these types of final acts getting made and people keep going to see them. This disappointed me a great deal because I was really enjoying it until it reached that point.

Aside from the generic last act, the only problem I would have is with whom Rebecca Bloomwood is and how this character portrays women. I realize that a movie should not be taken seriously, but what if young girls don’t realize it? They will see that the way to be happy is by spending as much money as possible on overpriced designer items. It’s sad and demeaning.

Although demeaning, the character was played and written well, as was most of the movie. It was a very funny entertainment that guys didn’t have to be ashamed to take their dates on Valentine’s Day. I would give it a B-.