The Student News Site of Sacramento City College

The Express

The Express

The Express

Student FYI: Week of Jan. 22 through Feb. 2

Welcome to the spring 2024 semester, and the first Student FYI of the year! There’s so much happening at City College, the Express wanted to offer a place for students and staff to get essential information in an informative and efficient way. We are compiling a brief list of all the crucial news the City College community needs to know every other week. 

City College’s new Oasis Coffee Shop comes to the City Cafe. The shop marks the beginning of many planned dining service additions to campus, currently serving Starbucks drinks, a variety of hot foods and grab-and-go snacks. City College is offering a “hot cup of welcome back” to the new semester, a free 8oz cup of coffee or tea for students from now until Feb. 15, according to the City College Instagram page. The Oasis Coffee bar is open Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Read more on our coverage of current and future additions to on-campus dining services here.

The Financial Aid Office is now located on the first floor of the Student Services building (STC). The relocation allows the City College Financial Aid team to work alongside Admissions and Records to serve students for a more streamlined experience, according to the City College website. Stop by soon to see the space and resources that are available!

Looking for a job or internship this semester? City College’s Internships and Career Services provides resources for students to find on and off-campus employment, internships, and help with writing resumes and preparing for interviews. Students can learn more about City College’s Work Experience and Internship Program on Jan. 23 and 30, from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. City College’s Career Services is also holding an Interview Skills Workshop on Wednesday, Jan. 24 from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., and a Cover Letter Workshop on Monday, Jan. 29 in the same time frame. City College’s Career Services events and workshops are centered in the Business Building room 153 (BUS 153). View more of their specific services here.

City College’s Makerspace has reopened for the spring 2024 semester. After being closed last fall, the space is now open to all Los Rios students and staff as a space for innovation and collaboration, and for those interested to practice skills in fields such as design, art and technology while utilizing free machinery of the space. The Makerspace is located in Building T01 in the West parking lot by the water tower, and has reopened from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Learn more about this semester’s class options, events and other resources on their website here, and check out our past coverage on the space for additional information.

As the spring semester begins in full swing, here are some important City College deadlines to keep in mind. To those not continuing at City College this semester, Friday, Jan. 26 is the last day to return a student parking permit for a refund, and is also the last day to drop classes to qualify for a tuition refund. The last day to enroll in spring classes, as well as drop classes without a “W” notation on academic records is Sunday, Jan 28. Information about other academic deadlines can be found here.

Check back in at the Express every first and third Monday of every month for more news briefs.