The Student News Site of Sacramento City College

The Express

The Express

The Express

Student FYI: Week of Dec. 4 through 15

There’s so much happening at City College, the Express wanted to offer a place for students and staff to get essential information in an informative and efficient way. We will compile a brief list of all the crucial news the City College community needs to know every other week.  

Fall semester is ending shortly which means it’s time to enroll in spring classes! Make sure to check for your priority registration date and time which is found in eServices. Also search through the spring 2024 class schedule to find the classes you would like to enroll in. Your priority enrollment date is the earliest you may enroll, but you may continue to do so after that date has passed. More information can be found here

With winter break coming up as our fall semester comes to an end, finals week is approaching quickly. Final exams are scheduled to begin on Friday, Dec. 8 through Thursday, Dec. 14. To see when your finals take place click this link. To figure out your finals schedule look at the time your classes normally start and find the time slot that it fits in. Keep in mind, schedules will differ slightly for weekend classes, eight week and five week classes. 

The Los Rios Community College district introduced a new Identity and Access Management System called Okta. This is a required single sign-on tool that all students will use to manage their digital identity, control access to various college resources, and streamline login processes. Every student must complete a one-time Okta setup process the first time they attempt to log into most Los Rios applications. Instructions on how to register with Okta can be found for staff, and students who are smartphone users and non-smartphone users. Students will be required to sign into their services using Okta by Jan. 4 2024, but from now until then, students can pre register using this link.

The Asian and Pacific Islander Center is hosting an end-of-semester winter social on Friday, Dec. 8 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.. The gathering will take place in the South Gym (SOG-234) and is open to all. According to the center they hope to create a vibrant environment for the community filled with celebration, connecting with new people, and growing your network. An optional potluck and a white elephant activity are available for attendees to sign up for using these two links: potluck sign up and white elephant sign up. More information can be found here.

The Undocu Center is now offering a new service where students or employees may have the opportunity to have their Advance Parole application filing fees completely covered. According to the center, Advance Parole is permission granted by the Department of Homeland Security allowing certain noncitizens, such as DACA holders, to temporarily travel outside the U.S. and return lawfully. To qualify you must have a viable reason to travel falling under these three categories: education, employment and humanitarian. Anyone interested may find more information using this link and to access this service and book an appointment, use this link

As spring semester approaches rapidly, it’s essential to feel ready for your new set of classes. The City College counseling department is offering a workshop that focuses on managing classes and helping students with their spring 2024 education plan. According to the event webpage, counselors will help students navigate the enrollment process, help with waitlist and permission numbers as well as holds and tasks. They will also offer assistance with enrollment dates, adding courses and navigating eServices. A list of dates, times and locations for these workshops can be found on the event webpage that is linked above.