The Student News Site of Sacramento City College

The Express

The Express

The Express

Student FYI: Week of Sept. 25 through Oct. 6

There’s so much happening at City College, the Express wanted to offer a place for students and staff to get essential information in an informative and efficient way. We will compile a brief list of all the crucial news the City College community needs to know every other week. 

City College students must have a parking permit to park on campus. A semester-long permit can be purchased here for $41. Semester parking permits for motorcycles cost $26 and for students carpooling with three or more people the cost is $36 it can be purchased using the same link. The permit comes in the form of a decal, which should be placed on the windshield of the car. Daily parking passes cost $2 and can be purchased at the kiosks inside of the parking garage. Parking permits for motorcycles cost $26.  More information on parking permit rules and regulations can be found on the Los Rios Police Department website.

Photo credit: Nick Shockey / [email protected]

Having trouble finding affordable textbooks and school supplies? College Buys is a program created by the Foundation for California Community Colleges that offers exclusive discounts on educational resources such as laptops, iPads, internet and more, according to its website. The program also offers discounts on subscriptions for educational software like Adobe Creative Cloud for any graphic design or photography majors. 

The Asian Pacific Islander Center will celebrate the return of autumn on Tuesday, Sept. 26. Their Mid-Autumn Festival will include the Asian tradition of lantern painting. Supplies and sweet treats will be offered during festivities. City College students and staff are encouraged to share their creativity and display their lanterns in the Student Center. 

On Thursday, Sept. 28, Transfer Day will take place at the quad on campus from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. College application season is upon us, and  students planning to transfer can attend Transfer Day to learn more about the process and necessary information. Although CSUs and private institutions have different upcoming deadlines in the next few months, applications to transfer into the University of California Trasnfer Admission Guarantee program are due on Sept. 30. During the event, students can learn about over 50 different schools. Pre-registration is not required and more information on this event can be found here. 

Refugee students can find support from the  Refugee Career Pathways program, which aims to support refugees through their educational journey. The program offers assistance with educational navigation, college applications, financial aid, eServices support and Canvas support. Help is available in English, Russian/Ukrainian, Spanish and Dari/Pashto. Students in need of help can visit the Ethan Way Center on Tuesdays from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. from now until Dec. 19. 

Looking to build your resume and improve your job interview skills? City College is offering multiple workshops that focus on enhancing professionalism and confidence among students. A workshop focusing on constructing the perfect resume took place over Zoom on Friday, Sept. 22. A workshop on interview skills and confidence is still available to attend through Zoom on Thursday, Sept. 28 from noon to 1 p.m. Students may sign up here.