City College Panthers dominate their last home game against the American River College Beavers

City College’s Logan Piper (#6) throws a pitch to an American River College batter on Thursday, April 27, 2023. The Panthers go on to beat the Beavers 16-1. Photo credit: Alex Wong / [email protected]

The City College Panthers hosted the American River College Beavers on Thursday, April 27 for their final home baseball game of the season.

Panther’s starting pitcher Logan Piper (#6) had five strikeouts and gave up four out of ARC’s five hits. 

In the bottom of the second inning, Levi Sotomayor (#27) singled in the first run of the game and the Panthers continued to pour on the pressure. Later in the same inning, Panther’s catcher Nolan Barry (#20) singled and with an error by ARC’s right fielder, brought in two more runs.

The Panther’s center fielder, DJ Scott (#4), hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the third inning to put the Panthers up 5-0. Later in the third inning, Nolan Barry, got a two run sacrifice-fly as the Beaver’s shortstop and left fielder collided, extending their lead to 9-0. 

Both fielders for the Beavers came off the field and the game continued. 

The Panthers’ bats were red-hot throughout the game, totalling 17 hits with six occurring in the third inning. Stefon Foley (#29) and Tyler Hamilton (#24) both led the team in hits with three hits each.

The Panther’s dominated the Beaver’s winning their final home game 16-1. The Panther’s improved to 17-21 in their season while the American River College Beavers fell to 4-34. 

Despite the score, ARC didn’t accept defeat and battled through to the end despite their undesirable record on the season. City College had one more away game at ARC the next day ending their regular season with another win. 

City College coincidentally ended this season and last season with the same record at 18-21, however this season they made the playoffs which started early may.