City College releases statement following an ammunition box found on campus

Graphic made on Canva by: Acsah Lemma / [email protected]

An empty wooden ammunition box was discovered on the City College campus Monday afternoon. 

The box had been positioned on a railing near the entrance of the college’s African American Student Healing and Empowerment (ASHE) Center and the Retention Advancement and Student Achievement (RASA) Center.

The Los Rios Police Department was immediately called to the scene, and they found no ammunition inside or around the box, according to a statement by City College Interim President Albert Garcia emailed to students and faculty on Tuesday morning. The statement also reported that there seemed to be no evidence of any weapons or ammunition anywhere else on campus. 

In his statement, Garcia also said, “We acknowledge that the proximity of the box to two of our Cultural Centers that support our Brown and Black students is very troubling. Your safety as a member of our community is at the heart of the college’s mission and our work to create a safe campus environment.” 

President Garcia encouraged students who may be struggling with this incident to speak with these mental health services. They also include mental health support through TimelyCare

No further information has been provided, but the police department is actively looking into the situation, according to the statement President Garcia has asked staff and students to stay vigilant. If anyone has any information, contact the Los Rios Police Department at (916) 558-2221.