City College Panthers lose to Fresno City College Rams

City College Panthers’ quarterback Ben Partee (#13) hands the ball to the running back during the third quarter against Fresno City Rams at Hughes Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 22, 2022. The Fresno City Rams went on to defeat Panthers 46-28. Photo credit: Neezy Jeffery / [email protected]

The City College Panthers fought until the end but ultimately fell short to the Fresno City College Rams on Saturday Oct. 22, 2022. 

The game started strong for the Rams, as they took an early 19-0 lead in the second quarter by two touchdown runs from wide receiver Sean Kelly (#14). The Panthers swiftly struck back in the second quarter with a 2-yard rushing touchdown from quarterback Jason Lindahl (#15) and a 65-yard pick six from defensive back CJ Elkridge (#21). Unfortunately, the Rams were able to extend their lead to eight right before halftime with a last second field goal making the score 22-14 during the break. 

At the start of the third quarter, both teams went on to score a touchdown. One of the touchdowns scored was a 54-yard receiving touchdown by wide receiver Jonathan Brenes (#19)  of City College with 7:57 left in the third quarter; this ended up being the closest the Panthers would be to catching up to the Rams score as they trailed 21-29. The next score was a 75-yard interception return by Fresno City defensive back Camryn Bracha (#22) to extend their lead. 

The Rams slowly made their way to victory throughout the second half with the help of two  receiving touchdowns by wide receiver Darrien Gaines (#18). The Panthers did not give up despite their losing score as tight end Elijah Johnson (#14) had multiple receptions: one being a 20-plus yard gain with Johnson hurdling over a defender which led to Johnson (#14) getting an 11-yard touchdown reception later in the drive. 

Fresno City College came out victorious defeating the City College Panthers 46-28. Scoring plays from wide receiver Sean Kelly (#14) and wide receiver Darrien Gaines (#18) with two touchdowns each, along with their kicker Nathan Kunz (#48) making three field goals that helped lead the Rams to victory. The Rams improved their record to 4-3 and the Panthers fell to 3-4 with their conference record at 0-2.