The Student News Site of Sacramento City College

The Express

The Express

The Express

Prepare for the return of the parking permit

View of the west lot from atop the parking garage. (Photo credit: Jennifer Singh / [email protected])

City College’s Interim Vice President of Administrative Services, Stephanie Smith, says students will be required to purchase parking permits at the start of the summer 2023 semester.  To add more insult to injury, staff lots will be officially closed to students at the start of fall 2022. This comes after months of City College students enjoying permitless parking and an ease on student parking violations.

During the pandemic, parking was harshley enforced; permits weren’t necessary for students and parking enforcement wasn’t ticketing students for parking in staff lots. It was a wonderful era for City College commuters. Sadly, this era will soon come to an end.  

Student parking behind the campus parking garage. (Photo credit: Jennifer [email protected])

In the days before the pandemic, fees for parking violations were an unfortunate part of parking around campus. Tickets for parking violations on campus can be hefty with fees ranging from $30 to over $200. With the implementation of parking permit enforcement returning, these fees will see a return as well. 

Parking around campus can be a pain for staff and students alike. With the construction of new buildings on the south side of campus, some staff parking lots have faced closure, making other lots consequently busier.

The City College west parking lot. (Photo credit: Jennifer Singh / [email protected])

“The purpose of having staff lots open to students was just a courtesy during the pandemic. The lots were not being filled with staff parking so students were allowed to park there”, said Smith. 
To view the compendium of parking rules for City College’s parking lots, information can be found on the Los Rios PD website here.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Express

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sacramento City College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.