ASHÉ Center finds way to effectively communicate online

photo
Students gather for an event hosted by ASHÉ Center prior to campus closures in March 2020. The ASHÉ Center is a cultural engagement center at City College that strives to enhance the educational experience for students of African descent. (photo/Ken Times)

When the word came from the Los Rios Community College District in March that all campuses would close due to the COVID-19 shutdown order, Ken Times knew that the ASHÉ Center had to adjust quickly.  

Because staff and students had to switch to online communication, Times, the project coordinator of the ASHÉ Center, realized, “Being online is something different.” 

The ASHÉ Center is a cultural engagement center at City College that strives to enhance the educational experience for students of African descent. 

Times and the rest of the staff at the ASHÉ Center have been using their social media pages to continue communicating with students and provide tips to help Black students succeed in their online classes.

“When we were on campus, a lot of who we saw were students that were coming to the center to catch a vibe and see what we were about,” said Times. “But now that we’re online, we have to reach out via email and through our social media. It’s a different push now.”

The ASHÉ Center offers various support services like peer mentorship, counseling and advising, according to Times. So, to continue working with students, the ASHÉ Center chats with students over Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. 

cialis on line Side effects are generally commonly occurring inquiries throughout every medicine. cheap sildenafil india It is also recommended by the medical science to cure your sex problems. Thus, when you include a good amount of magnesium in tadalafil online no prescription your blood stream then you should inform these to your breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack time and watch what begins to occur to you. There are a number of benefits of using Tongkat Ali products This ingredient got famous as the supplement market online levitra began cashing in on its longstanding reputation and usage by the traditional medicine.

According to Times, despite having to transition online, the ASHÉ Center has had a steady increase of City College students to keep in contact with.

“As people learn about who we are and what we do, we’ve seen an increase in people reaching out to us,” Times said. “We’ve continued to spread [information] by word of mouth and keeping up with previous engagements on campus before COVID.”

One of the center’s biggest challenges is to maintain the engagement between members in the ASHÉ community. And according to Times, the ASHÉ Center is still finding ways to provide the services that it usually does in person.

According to Times, the ASHÉ Center is holding a variety of events online. 

“We will be holding open peer mentor sessions and a few other online events this semester,” said Times. “These were events we were planning to do on campus, so right now we’re still figuring out how we would put those out online.”