The Student News Site of Sacramento City College

The Express

The Express

The Express

Graciela Serratos

Graciela Serratos, elementary school teaching major and vice president of Technology of Phi Theta Kappa, is transferring to UC Berkeley. Photo by Sara Nevis | Staff Photographer | [email protected]

by RAHITESH PRASAD | Guest Writer

There are many students who go to City College, but there are only a select few who hold notable positions in campus organizations.

As vice president of Technology for the college’s chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa honor society, Graciela Serratos is one of those leaders. The 19-year-old student—not too tall, wearing semi-round glasses and casual dress—is not to be underestimated.

She graduated from Davis Senior High School in 2017, and in high school, she did a lot of things.

“During my high school years, I wanted to make the most of my experience, so I joined many clubs,” says Serratos.

The National Honors Society, California Scholarship Federation, and Key Club. She played baritone saxophone in the concert and symphonic bands. She interned at the school library, where she grew to love the staff, as well as the library itself. She was vice president of the dance club and in charge of tech operations, where she helped put together their annual dance show.

“By getting involved in my community, I had a greater appreciation for my school and the staff members that made it all possible,” says Serratos.

Her journey of going to colleges, though, started back when she was in high school.

“So I heard through a friend that I could become an advanced student and attend college while in high school, so I took the opportunity,” she says.

During the summer of her junior year in high school, Serratos did just that and started going to the City College Davis Center. She loved the campus and the staff so much that, at that moment, Serratos decided that instead of applying to a traditional four-year college, she would go with the alternate path. So, the next summer after she graduated, she enrolled at City College and began the next chapter of her life.

This medication should only pfizer viagra generic be eaten if man is sexually aroused. It improves the sabotaged functioning of generic sildenafil tablets male reproductive organ by improving the blood supply. The doctor believes this type of diet combined with some healthy lifestyle changes is associated with longevity, tadalafil 5mg tablets overall well-being, lower incidence of cancer and cardiovascular disease. Which is to say, they are actually fermented leaves, the larger leaves can be aged for years Matcha- the plant are grown under the look at more info viagra pfizer canada shade, the new shoots are steamed and then dried and then finally powered.

During her time at City College, she joined the nonprofit academic honors organization Phi Theta Kappa.

“I decided to try it out because my close friend invited me to join,” says Serratos. “She told me she had recently become the president of Service and Sustainability, and I wanted to support her.”

Serratos went to multiple public meetings and to student government officer meetings with her friend. Soon enough, she started to volunteer for projects that would pay dividends for her in the future, as she would become an officer for Phi Theta Kappa.

“I got the news that the VP of Technology position was empty in the beginning of this semester, and my friends encouraged me to run for the position since I had volunteered so much for PTK already,” says Serratos. “So, I announced that I was interested, and it was put up for voting and I was officially announced a couple weeks afterwards.”

Her friends and fellow students appreciate her initiative.

“Caring, kind, understanding, proactive, the boss” is how her friend Maria Katherine, a fellow Phi Theta Kappa member, describes her.

Another City College student, Robyn Fields, who is a current classmate of Serratos, sees other traits that make Serratos a successful leader.

“She’s very down to earth, and even if she has her own things going on, she’ll be there for others when they need her,” Fields says.

However, Serratos says she is still fairly new to all of this. She says that she thinks the officers have really made a huge difference this academic year, as they have recruited more active members.

“There are always going to be difficult moments, but I think if you can work through those problems you will really find satisfaction in what you do,” says Serratos of the work she does in campus organizations. “Besides that, I really enjoy all the time I spend with all PTK members and officers. I have learned so many practical job skills, but I will say, it has been hard work. Lots of calling, texting, emailing, planning, and making so many documents and forms that I do not even know where to begin. However, when I look at all the work we have done, I couldn’t be prouder of what we have all accomplished.”

As proof of her hard work, Serratos found out during spring break that she was accepted for transfer to the University of California, Berkeley, in the fall.