The Student News Site of Sacramento City College

The Express

The Express

The Express

A day in the life

ASG President LaToya Daniels stands outside in the Quad on April 27. Robert Paul | robbety@hotmail.com
ASG President LaToya Daniels stands outside in the Quad on April 27. Robert Paul | [email protected]

“I’m not interesting,” insists outgoing City College Associated Student Government president La Toya Daniels, as she keys figures into her computer. She’s ordering supplies for a “stress pack” for City College students, which consists of a Scantron, blue book, spare pencil, bag of trail mix, and several other last-minute fallback tools for on-the-go college students.

However menial this task may seem to the average observer, there is much more to her job as president than meets the eye.

In addition to executive council with the vice president of the campus, meetings with her adviser, student trustee and the other ASG presidents from the district, Daniels works in the Cultural Awareness Center, is active in ASG meetings, maintains a part-time job and attends classes, including a 5:30 a.m. class on Fridays.

Daniels’ tasks don’t end there. She takes time to hear concerns from students all over the district, provides information and guidance to those in need, and even manages to prepare those “stress packs,” making sure that every student is taken care of.

Before prostatectomy, bilateral vasectomy was performed first in sildenafil samples order to avoid further health problems. This PDE 5 inhibiting medicine inhibits PDE5 enzyme in order to increase nitric oxide, a chemical that increases blood circulation throughout the system. viagra pharmacy prices The application of Generic Benicar has discovered to be efficient in these viagra no consultation http://deeprootsmag.org/category/videos/?feedsort=comment_count situations as this has been especially developed and manufactured in order to behave as an efficient anti-platelet drug form. One can consume these herbal supplements without any fear to prevent sildenafil best price sexual weakness and weak ejaculation. Furthermore, Daniels leads ASG Vice President Debbie Dixon, Treasurer Colleen Peterson, commissioners Elika Bernard, La Donya Reed and Krystal Ferguson, and a group of senators.

How can someone who manages all these tasks call herself uninteresting.

Current ASG Secretary and incoming President Steve Macias gives Daniels more credit than she gives herself.

“La Toya, to me, is a role model. Her endeavor to get where she is today is really an inspiring story and I admire the work she has done for Sacramento City College,” Macias says. “She is the one who encouraged me to run and I will have a difficult time following up to such a top-notch act.”

ASG adviser Kim Beyrer has worked with Daniels from the beginning of her political career. In that time, she has been a first-hand witness to Daniels’ progression.

“I’ve seen her grow and change and I think she’s become more confident, more self-assured; she has become more assertive,” says Beyrer. “Anytime you’re an ASG president, you’re going to have some tough experiences that you have to face. That can be a tough road to walk, and I think she’s managed it well.”

Though Daniels acts as a role model for many students, her passion for politics wasn’t actually ignited until she began working as an assistant to the ASG president of the 2006-07 school year. After becoming involved, she worked to get her grades up so she could become secretary the following semester.

Then, with encouragement from her best friend and other supporters, she decided to run for president with the hope of making the campus a better place for all City College students.

“I think there are so many things that our campus can do and that [it has] done. It just takes the right person to be that president and to be that liaison between the campus and the students,” Daniels says. “And I love every minute of it.”

Donate to The Express

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sacramento City College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.