Batter Up

City College baseball player Michael Marjama at practice. || Terri M. Venesio || venesit@imail.losrios.edu
City College baseball player Michael Marjama at practice. Photo by || Terri M. Venesio || [email protected]

He’s a smooth talking, light-hearted, outgoing and lovable guy. He is every girl’s best friend and every guy’s wing man. He’s the teacher’s favorite pet, and your parents’ favorite friend.

Does this sound like your typical athlete? Probably not.

But meet City College baseball player Michael Marjama — 6-foot-2 and 208 pounds of pure dedication.

When the cleats come on, and the bleachers fill with shouting fans, Marjama is in game mode.

“Once Marj is on that field, he turns into an entirely different person,” says teammate Eli Hynes. “His good work ethic really comes out.”

Marjama’s proudest accomplishment was making second team infielder at the 2009 Big 8 Conference, just below Hynes.

The Statesman also tends to print the Associated Press, The Washington Post, Los Angeles cheap sildenafil Times and the Newyork Times. There are herbal ingredients and amino acids in this supplement that help increase circulation to the penis, leading to harder and firmer erection purchasing here viagra without prescription for intense lovemaking. The effect of the uk cialis icks.org medicine starts in an hour and remains up to four to six hours. If you want a dose of this tadalafil price, you have to log in to the site and fill up a form of personal details just like name and address of the recipient and the age with the details of the patient. “I’m real competitive on the field, but Eli is a great baseball player, and he pushes me to better myself,” Marjama says. “He makes me just that much more determined.”

As of May 2009, Marjama was fifth at batting, with a .289 average; second for doubles, with 12 total; and third for stolen bases, with eight. All these high scoring stats don’t come easy for Marjama, but long hours after practice of being in the batting cages and working out in the gym pay off at the end of each game. He says baseball is what keeps him happy. He is always trying to find ways to improve his skills and better his team.

“After practice, it’s me time,” Marjama says. “I work out and reflect on what I need to do to improve.”

Marjama has been playing baseball since he was little. He gives credit to his father, for always being there to throw the ball around and teach him all that he knows today about the game. Credit goes to his mother for keeping him level-headed, on and off the field.

“During practice, Marj is always serious and hard on himself,” says longtime friend and teammate Brian Stamps. “Off the field, he is a laid-back prankster.”

Although he is serious and focused on the field, Marjama is a complete goofball.

“The team and I always laugh at Marj because we caught him singing by himself in the showers to country singer Taylor Swift’s song ‘Picture to Burn’,” Stamps says. “This gives you the perfect image of Marj at the end of the day.”