Queer Straight Alliance applauds appeals court decision

City College’s Queer Straight Alliance club applauded the federal appeals court decision Feb. 7 that the California same-sex marriage ban under Proposition 8 is unconstitutional.

A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals made the 2-1 ruling, stating that Proposition 8 “serves no purpose, and has no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians in California, and to officially reclassify their relationships and families as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples.”

“It was a long time coming,” said City College anthropology professor and Queer Straight Alliance co-adviser Natascha Storms-Suvang. “I’m very happy about the ruling; I hope the case goes to the Supreme Court.”

Storms-Suvang has been married to her wife since 2008, when marriage was still legal between same-sex couples in California following the passing of Proposition 8 by a 52 percent vote in November of that same year. Proposition 8 has had a great effect on Storms-Suvang as well as her friends, she said.

“I know friends who are completely in the closet,” Storms-Suvang said. “They’re personal life is a secret. They don’t tell anybody about it.”

“Legalizing gay marriage would allow people to be more comfortable to represent themselves
It absolutely was said that sildenafil is effective within the remedy from the pulmonary arterial hypertension, a rare illness. tadalafil 20mg cipla http://cute-n-tiny.com/tag/jerboa/ These are the commonest reasons to opt for a therapist to sort out your sexual issues. 1. http://cute-n-tiny.com/tag/octopus/ discount cialis So, it can be said that the practitioner, acts as a blessing for the purchase sildenafil online individuals suffering from the pain of injury as depicted by physiotherapist Glasgow. This problem purchase levitra online is premature and weak ejaculation. publicly,” she said.

Members of the QSA were nonetheless elated to find out the news during the club’s Tuesday meeting, QSA co-adviser Derrick Wydick said in an email.

“Here’s looking forward to the US Supreme Court decision,” he wrote. Because the panel’s ruling involved consideration of Proposition 8 explicitly, the decision only applies to same-sex marriages in Calif.

“It’s a good step toward what we’re trying to accomplish, but we still have a long way to go as a society,” said City College biology major Cameo Rockwell.

Proposition 8 supporters still have the opportunity to appeal for a rehearing by a larger panel of the 9th Circuit Court or to appeal the case directly to the Supreme Court.

“I feel like people should be able to do whatever they want,” said City College engineering student Max Elliott. “Other people shouldn’t be able to restrict people from being with who they love.”