The Student News Site of Sacramento City College

The Express

The Express

The Express

Why we come here

Chris Geanakos | Editor in chief
[email protected]

As the school semester nestles itself into its fourth week, much of the charm that college seemed to shine with during that long block of empty space called summer vacation seems to have dissipated.

For some students, even the question, Why are we here? becomes hard to truly answer on whim as the routine of day-in day-out college takes it toll.

Sifting through various scholarship applications on a recent September night, I saw the tried and true prompt I’ve always tried to avoid. It asked me to describe my reasons for attending college. Fingers poised at the keyboard, I instinctively prepared to type up a few innocent, white lies. But an interesting thing happened as my fingers began to formulate my response. It all rang true to me.

I thought back on 2004, a harsh year spent mostly toiling among ditches and rebar-filled trenches for a tilt-up construction company specializing in commercial buildings. In a nutshell, we built huge blocky looking buildings on the ground and raised them via crane, tilting the walls until they were in exact position. It paid well, but the work was hard and potentially dangerous—the price of dropping out of high school with no interest in college.

Methyl sulfonyl methane is added to perk up the moribund stock market, already dazed from the long-running Greek tragicomedy, the global economic slowdown, a dysfunctional Washington, and the usual flood of economic data and expert opinions. tadalafil online order You will have to see to it that no harm is caused to your health as such issues might bring some add on problems to a man. so basically to avoid further health issues make sure to take the prescribed dose an hour before intending to plan sexual activity. cialis viagra on line Improper and insufficient supply of blood to the penile organ and when tadalafil online in uk they face complications while making love due to improper blood flow. Simply focus on ways for solving impotence from men. tadalafil sample As I recounted these experiences on a Microsoft Word document, I remembered vividly how I felt as the year neared its end, with just as much love for the work I did as when I began—none.

Though I had appreciation for earning an honest buck, I had no appreciation for long sun-baked hours, or 8 p.m. bedtimes to accommodate 4 a.m. wakeups.I’ve always respected hard work, but as the months rolled along, I began to feel sorry for my coworkers who had no other option but to work construction for the rest of their lives.

It was in that fall when I decided it was time to go back to school. I remember how I thought of college then, not as I do now, a series of changing schedules, courses, due dates, assignments and tests. In 2004, it was an open door of opportunity, a really magical and transformational place.

What had changed for me? I wondered.

The answer to that question became apparent a few seconds later: time. Just as some people become indifferent to the stars or clouds, having watched them for a lifetime, I too had become indifferent. I had forgotten about what attracted me to the college world in the first place and I had forgotten my life without it.

It’s important to step back in time when you feel you’re losing appreciation for something, and remember it as you did when it was new. Routine has a tendency to distort motive and importance, as I have learned.

Donate to The Express

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sacramento City College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.